Last time I told you that I was away to make a wedding dress and cake…
Yesterday was ‘The Big Day’, so I am now free to show you all what has been keeping me
busy, had me pulling my hair out and blubbing like a big girl’s blouse. My No.1 Daughter, married her boyfriend of seven years yesterday. I was of course, the proudest Mum on the block. I have waited all of her life to make this dress and cake, so each step of the way it was crafted with loads of love, and not a little trepidation. They are, after all, a large part of the focus at any wedding and I wanted No.1 Daughter’s to be the best I could make. I think I accomplished that – she certainly had many compliments on her dress, and I on the cake.
Here are back views of the finished dress, top and bottom and also the veil.
All of the beading was done by hand by Teen Daughter.
And the cake….
A wonderful day and evening was had by all, thank you to all who helped to make the day!
Young teen son announced that he would rather like a Rubik’c cube cake for his birthday last month. I took this in the spirit in which is was given – a challenge. Work began on the morning of his birthday after shuffling him off to school.
The cake began life as a 12 inch square Madeira cake, baked for approx 55 mins at 160 degrees Celsius, then cut into four equal squares, of which only three were used for the final cake. I wrapped the tin with newspaper to prevent the cake from browning too much on the top during cooking.
The cake stack was then covered in a layer of Asda Banoffee spread, and the icing begins, by covering two opposite sides with Fondant Icing.
This was followed by a strip of fondant icing laid across the remaining part of the cube. Edges were neatened and the surface smoothed out, ready to add the colour.
Ready-coloured fondant icing was used to make the squares of colour to represent the smaller cubes of the Rubik’s cube. I had made a conscious decision to use white as the background because of the slightly bitter taste of heavily coloured fondant. Therefore black was used in the smaller squares to provide a sort of negative image. The small squares with ‘glued’ to the cake with water and a soft paintbrush.
This picture shows the finished cake, complete with the original cube, used to ensure than I had a good representation of the spread of colours. I thought that it would be better to show a random pattern of colour, than the completed cube pattern.
Et Voila! It didn’t last long of course – these things never do, but at least my son was happy with his cake.
This gallery contains 11 photos.